H. Trigg Mitchell joined the corporate practice group of McBrayer, McGinnis, Leslie & Kirkland, PLLC as Senior Associate in May of 2012.
Mr. Mitchell graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1995, Magna Cum Laude, with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting, attended law school at Salmon P. Chase College of Law and obtained his LL.M. in Taxation in 2002 from the University of Denver on an Arthur Anderson Tax Challenge Scholarship. After law school, he served as a tax consultant with Arthur Anderson, LLP, providing full-service tax and financial consulting to corporations, as well as evaluating tax and financial consequence of corporate reorganizations.
In addition to his corporate background, Mr. Mitchell has extensive experience in estate planning, as well as preparation of individual, estate, fiduciary and charitable tax returns. He has represented taxpayers on disputes with the IRS and the Kentucky Department of Revenue. Prior to joining the firm, he practiced in the Lexington office of Dinsmore & Shohl. As an associate with Dinsmore, Mr. Mitchell represented clients in a variety of transactions, including business acquisitions and divestitures, business entity formations, mergers and real estate issues relating to same.
- Membership Unit Acquisition
IMG Worldwide, Inc.
Multimillion-dollar in cash and preferred stock acquisition of a sports and entertainment marketing management company.
- Simultaneous Asset and Stock Purchase
Foreign entity's multimillion-dollar concurrent stock and asset acquisition of coal producing companies.
- Corporate Reorganization and Membership Unit Sale
Reorganization and membership unit sale of coal producing companies for approximately $20,000,000.
- Coal Acquisition
Publically Traded British Investment Company
$60,000,000 asset acquisition of a coal producing company with mining operations in several states.
- Coal Acquisition
Multimillion-dollar stock acquisition involving significant lease amendments relating to underlying coal reserves of a coal producing company.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Finance
- Corporate & Transactional
- Estate & Trust
- Kentucky, 2000
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2006
- U.S. Tax Court, 2005
- Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. - 2000
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- LL.M. - 2002
- Major: Taxation
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude) - 1995
- Major: Accounting
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alzheimer's Association, Regional Advisory Council
- Fayette County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Fayette County Bar Association Young Lawyer Section, Past President
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Coal Association
- Lexington Coal Exchange
- Leadership Lexington, Class of 2010-2011
- Lexington Rotary Club, Board of Directors, Member
- United Way of the Bluegrass, Board of Trustees , 2012 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Dinsmore & Shohl, Associate, 2007 - 2012
- Bowles, Rice, McDavid, Graff & Love, Associate, 2004 - 2007