Click here for the latest trends, updates and insight on our blog page.
A Department of Labor (DOL) investigation can cause a costly distraction for a business. At the law firm of McBrayer our lawyers have extensive experience representing employers dealing with DOL issues, including allegations of wage and hour violations. With offices in Lexington, Louisville, Frankfort and Greenup, Kentucky, and Washington, D.C., our lawyers represent employers throughout the United States.
Our law firm handles all matters related to Department of Labor investigations and compliance, including wage and hour claims, classification of employees as exempt or nonexempt, overtime, minimum wage, and required breaks. Our lawyers also advise employers with respect to whether an employee is properly classified as an independent contractor or as an employee.
The following are examples of the services we provide:
- Handling all aspects of a Department of Labor investigation
- Communicating with the investigator on behalf of our employers
- Responding to requests for information, including documents and records
- Working to keep any investigation from expanding
- Mitigating exposure with respect to back wages and penalties assessed by the Department of Labor
- Advising employers to ensure compliance, including required record-keeping
The earlier you contact our law firm, the sooner our lawyers can go to work to protect your interests. Our lawyers strive to help our employers reduce their exposure to significant back wages, penalties and fines by engaging early with state and federal Department of Labor investigations.
Based on our years of experience, our lawyers can tell you what to expect. We can assist you in developing a process that helps ensure compliance going forward, even if missteps occurred in the past. Our goal is to resolve the investigation as favorably and efficiently as possible so you can concentrate on your business.
Take the First Step to Success
To discuss your case with one of our experienced labor law attorneys contact the firm online.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Louisville, Kentucky, January 29, 2018
- Legal Remedies for HR Headaches: Attorney Cindy Effinger speaks at Kentucky Society for Human Resource Management (KySHRM) Annual Conference 2017Employment Law for EmployersAugust 29, 2017
- 28th Annual HR UpdateTHE EEOCLouisville, Kentucky, May 24-25, 2016
- Business First of Louisville , February 26, 2016
- Five things for HR Professionals to Double-Check Yesterday (Or as Soon as Possible) September 5, 2018
- Overtime Law Update – One Rule Stalled, One Law Gaining Momentum May 9, 2017
- DOL Quietly Moves to ‘All Liquidated Damages, All the Time’ Footing May 5, 2016
- Another Facebook Case, Another Lesson Learned, cont. May 2, 2013
- Another Facebook Case, Another Lesson Learned April 29, 2013
- Employee Manuals – Updating is the Best Defense continued….. September 7, 2012
- Employee Manuals – Updating is the Best Defense September 5, 2012
- Brandon K. Johnson - Attorney Biography
- Cynthia L. Effinger - Attorney Biography
- Luke A. Wingfield - Attorney Biography
- Jaron P. Blandford - Attorney Biography
Who We Serve
With offices throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky, McBrayer, McGinnis, Leslie & Kirkland, PLLC, has been the region's preeminent law firm for Employment Law for the past fifty years. Our attorneys work with employers of all types and sizes to reduce the risk of litigation. To that end, we handle all matters that touch on the employment relationship, including development of hiring and firing policies and practices, including severance agreements and unemployment insurance benefits; creation of employee policy manuals; drafting and enforcement of non-compete agreements; non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements; guidance on human resources issues; drafting of executive and employee contracts and compensation packages; and employee training regarding discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
During our representation, we make an effort to understand our clients' businesses in order to better meet their legal needs. This becomes important when our clients are involved in litigation. Our team of lawyers has vast experience and success in litigating harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, non-compete agreements and a variety of other issues that relate to the employment relationship in both federal and state courts as well as in the arbitration arena. We will assist our clients in aggressively defending frivolous claims and by compromise or resolution of others. In any litigation case, we work with our clients as a partner to meet their expectations and reduce their risks.
Who do we serve? Our attorneys represent clients involved in every industry whether it be a small family owned business or a business on the Fortune 500 list. Our clients operate within many fields, including: health care, hospitality financial services, education, commercial real estate, manufacturing, physical therapy, retail establishments, agriculture, telecommunications, and construction. The common thread amongst all of them is employment relationships. Our experience in this area is unparalleled. Whether you have five employees or five hundred, our lawyers can address the full spectrum of your employment law questions and needs.