Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2019 (Real Estate Law)
The Best Lawyers in America "Lawyer of the Year", 2018 (Real Estate Law)
University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, J.D., 1991
- Honors: Phi Delta Phi (Magister, Breckinridge Inn, 1990-1991)
- Honors: Member, Moot Court Board
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, B.B.A., 1988
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Major: Finance
When I started at McBrayer more than twenty five years ago, the practice of law was vastly different. Our firm has grown substantially and continues to develop new practice areas and serve more clients and industries. McBrayer has one of the largest real estate practice groups in Kentucky, consisting of an experienced team of attorneys who are equipped to handle any real estate transaction. Our firm has a strong relationship with the various banks and real estate related entities located throughout Kentucky, and it is a relationship that dates back to when our firm first opened in 1963.
As a real estate lawyer since 1991, I have handled virtually every aspect of this area of the law. My representation includes, as necessary, title examination, title insurance, clearing title issues, preparation of deeds, settlement statements and loan documentation, contract negotiation and preparation, lease negotiation and preparation, survey analysis, and any and all other needs related to residential and commercial real estate matters. I enjoy counseling lenders, buyers, and sellers, as well as landlords and tenants in every aspect of a real estate transaction.
My practice primarily lends itself to representation of lending institutions involved in real estate transactions. I, along with my staff and other members of our real estate department, am committed to staying apprised of changes in the law and within the banking industry that may impact the business decisions lenders make regarding extensions of credit.
The real estate practice encompasses many different aspects of the law. We deal with contracts, estates and probate, land use, and corporations in addition to the real estate process. Real estate is a great opportunity to pull people together and is normally a good experience for both the seller and buyer. Many times a residential closing is the single biggest event in someone’s life, and I hope that I play a part in helping them complete that process. I place a lot of value on going the extra mile for the client.
I have served in numerous public service roles, including pro bono representation of various non-profit entities as well as serving as a former board member to the Lexington Hearing & Speech Center, former board member to the University of Kentucky Alumni Association, former board chair of First United Methodist Church, and former board member of Methodist Home. I currently assist low-to moderate-income families and individuals become first-time homeowners by hosting monthly seminars on the buying process and I continue to be actively involved in the community.
- Fayette County Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- President of the Lambda Alpha of Chi Omega House Corp.
News & Insights
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America, August 15, 2018
- Attorneys from McBrayer law offices in Lexington and Louisville achieved a 2018 listing in U.S. News Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 15, 2017
- McBrayer's 2016 Best Lawyers in AmericaU.S. News, September 1, 2015
- McBrayer's 2015 Best Lawyers in AmericaU.S. News, September 1, 2014
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 2015 Annual Bench & Bar ConferenceLexington, KY, June 23, 2015
- Easements Made Easy: The Basics of Easements on Real Property June 6, 2017
- New Accounting Standards from FASB Create Big Changes for Leases March 25, 2016
- The New TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Requirements October 1, 2015
- The Dangerous Path of Property through Intestacy: The Need for Estate Planning with Respect to Real Estate May 7, 2015
- Titling Property & Same-Sex Couples in Kentucky January 30, 2015
- Boilerplate Language May Brew Trouble January 23, 2014